Whether you sell on eBay, Etsy or your own ecommerce site, your pictures are one of the most important elements in your ability to increase sales.
The big time ad agencies rent expensive studios, but you have a fairly inexpensive option available. Try a tabletop photography studio kit.
I got a chance to test the YescomUSA 24" Pop Up Photography Soft Light Studio Tent Kit. This all-in-one solution helps photographers and web retailers produce clean images that showcase their products beautifully.
Why you would want one
You're an online seller
Imagine you are shopping online and visit a site that features just the product you want. You click on the image to get a closer look, and in the background you see the family pet, their living room, and other personal effects. On another site, you see a professionally photographed image with a clean white background. Which site makes you feel better about the provider?
For most of us, it would be the latter. When you sell online, the images you create become your store front window, so you want your store to be as inviting and professional as possible. When your images are compelling, you are more likely to convert browsers to buyers.
You're a blogger
If you are a blogger, you know that one of the big challenges you'll encounter is how you illustrate each post. A tabletop studio can be helpful if you need to photograph a more conceptual idea. If you blog frequently, you can create images specific to your posts without having to spend a lot of money on stock photos.
Why you would want this one
YescomUSA's pop up studio tent is an inexpensive and practical solution. It arrives with everything you need to create your home studio:
- A studio tent that pops up to a 24" x 24" size and collapses like a reflector or car visor.
- Two lamps with 26W bulbs balanced to 5500k. This lets you set your camera white balance to ensure you get perfect color in your images.
- Backgrounds in white, blue, red, and black
- Tabletop tripod.
- Carrying bag for the tent and backgrounds.
This table top studio is a great value because:
Getting a studio for $69 is a no-brainer price when you realize that you are getting a background, lights, stands and a tent. If you bought these items individually, you can easily pay $69 for each of these elements.
It provides everything you need to create money-making images — for a relatively small investment.
The lights and stands are pretty solid. They probably have the best build in this package. I can easily see using these lights for other situations outside the pop-up studio. You set up the lights outside the tent, so you have a built-in diffuser. That creates soft even light on your subject.
Why you would not want this one
If you put any mileage on this studio, you will likely need to upgrade quickly. While it might be a good value for $69, I don't think it is sturdy enough to stand up to a lot of usage. I only used it a couple times but always felt like I needed to treat it gingerly.
The tabletop tripod can handle a compact point and shoot, but I would be hesitant to use it with a DSLR. You might want to get your own tripod or guerrilla pod for better camera stability.
It doesn't come with any instructions. The kit should be easy to figure out if you've ever used studio lighting before, but I can see how a novice might be frustrated.
If you have occasional use for a portable studio, this is option is good enough. You can create your blog illustrations or sell your cool eBay products. The YescommUSA pop up studio will help you create professional looking photos. If you need to create images at a greater frequency, you might want to invest more money and get something that is a little sturdier.
Here's what the manufacturer says:
This brand new professional portable photo tent and lights kit is a perfect solution for producing photo and video for web retailers and commercial product catalog. Very easy to use and setup in seconds.
Best Solution for Your Portable Photo Studio:
- Perfect for objects less than 24in., such as toys, accouterments, small furnishings and souvenir, etc.
- Soften lighting for reducing overexposure and hot spots.
- Seamless and non-reflectable background for less post processing.
- Set up in minutes and fold in a carrying case for portability
- For 110 voltage
Soft Light Tent:
- 24" x 24" x 24" (more sizes are available in our store)
- 100% pure white high-duty nylon fabric round tent
- Translucent fabric gently diffuse the light to prevent shadows
- Removable front door with slit for eliminating reflection of your camera len, great for photographing highly reflective objects such as silver and glass
- Setup in seconds and fold up for convenient storage and travel
- Excellent for table top use
- Color temperature is 5500k, most perfect color temperature for photo taking.
- Total 2x 45 Watts energy saving compact fluorescent spiral bulb
- Average life of light bulb : 8,000 hours
- Aluminum Light stand: 12" Min. - 21 1/2" Max.
- Adjustable Stand with simple quick-release levers
- High-quality aluminum and steel frame.
- Neck height ranges from 6" to 11", suitable for table top shooting.
- Size: 41" L x 22" W
- Non reflective high-quality cotton.
- 4 different colors: Black, White, Red and Blue for best result.
- Velcro design allows you to change the background easily and quickly.
- Provide better contrast solution for all objects
- 1x 24" Soft Light Tent
- 4x High-quality Backgrounds
- 2x 26w Daylight Bulbs
- 2x Light Reflectors
- 2x Light Tripods
- 1x Camera Tripod
- 1x Carrying Bag for Tent and Backgrounds
Where to buy it
I don't have an affiliate relationship with this retailer and am not compensated if you purchase it. They did provide a free copy for me to evaluate, but there was no expectation that it would influence my review. This post reflects my unbiased opinion.