That's a great question from Ruth. Surely I have something prepared on macro photography, right? Wrong!
Ruth's question provides a great opportunity to discuss all the things you will need to know for successful macro photography. It's also great time for me, as I've been playing around with macro lately.
What is macro photography?
Lens that allows you to focus on subjects that are very close to your camera • Lens that allows life size reproduction of the image: 1:1
What do we mean by close?
- Canon EF 100 mm f/2 USM will focus at 3 feet
- Canon EF 100 mm f/2.8 Macro US will focus at 1 foot
- Nikon's old 105 mm lens can focus at 3 feet
- Nikon's macro 105 mm lens focuses at 1 foot
Listen to the podcast
Popular macro lenses (with B&H Photo links)
- 50 mm f/2.5 Compact Macro
- 60 mm f/2.8 Macro USM
- 100 mm EF f/2.8L IS USM
- 100 mm f/2.8 Macro USM
- 180 mm f/3.5L Macro USM