Remember the sweet feeling of overwhelm when you held your new camera and marveled at all those buttons and features?
Here's the good news — you don't really need to know all of your camera's options. Here's the challenge — the ones you should know, you really ought to take the time to master them.
Like the famous Pareto Principle, roughly 80 percent of the effects come from 20 percent of the causes. To make it more specific, if you master these 16 features, they will help you excel in 80 percent of your shooting scenarios. Grab your camera and follow along.
Listen to the podcast
Learn these 16 on your camera
- Shooting modes (PASM, P/TV/AV/M)
- Exposure Compensation - adds or decreases the amount of light uniformly
- Metering modes - How the camera measures light
- Locks the exposure (shutter speed or aperture) and/or locks auto focus
- WB presets. (Lets you compensate for different color temperatures from light sources)
- AF area modes (Auto area AF vs single point AF)
- AF modes (one shot, AI focus, AI servo / AF-S, AF-A, AF-C)
- Quality (Raw, JPG L,M,S; Raw +
- Picture controls
- Release modes
- Self timers
- Color space
See them on your Canon or Nikon
Don't miss an episode
Did I miss any of the basic features? Let me know in the comments.