Let's get the easy answer out of the way first. No Steve Heiner is not giving away free Nikon DSLRs.
As Nikon's senior technical manager, Steve has answers on just about every other question you might have about Nikon cameras and lenses.
If you have ever wondered how Nikon decides what technology to include in the upcoming DSLRs, why you should spend more money on Nikon lenses rather than off brand options, or what Nikon was thinking with their mirrorless line, Steve answers all these questions and more.
In this episode of the podcast, I wove your questions and mine into a very interesting 45-minute conversation. Canon shooters might even find it interesting.
About Steve Heiner, Senior Technical Manager, Nikon Inc.
After working as a photojournalist for several hometown newspapers in his native state of Utah, Steve Heiner joined Nikon in 1985 as a Technical Representative in Dallas, Texas. He later worked in Sunnyvale, California; Salt Lake City, Utah and eventually New York. During his time in the field, Steve provided technical assistance and training to pro photographers during major sporting and news events. He has trained government and military specialists around the country and while at sea. For two years Steve also taught courses for the Nikon School of Photography. He joined the Nikon management team in the Melville headquarters in 1999. Today he holds the position of Senior Technical Manager and Media Spokesperson.
Listen to the podcast
The interview uses Nikon's latest announcement of the D500 to talk about Nikon's technology and their philosophy about their cameras and lenses. I also asked Steve to make the case for Nikon brand lenses and mirrorless cameras. Here are some of the specific questions.
- What can you tell us about Nikon’s DSLR strategy? Is it more Apple or Adobe?
- The Nikon D500 looks like a powerful camera for the APS-C sensor. What excites you most about that camera?
- I am going back and forth on the 200-image buffering capability on the Nikon D500. Who is that for and why?
- Can you pull out decent still frames from the 4K video?
- Tell me about the new Bluetooth options in the D500. Is that where all Nikon DSLRs are going?
- What’s the case for Nikon brand lenses? If I can get the same capability from a different brand at a cheaper price, why wouldn't I?
- It seems a lot of people are focused on the megapixel race. I've heard your Expeed 5 is probably more important? How does it help the image?
- Tell me about the KeyMission 360 camera
- What’s the danger in gray market cameras?
- I don't have a transcript yet, but this is an episode you will want to hear for yourself.