It’s always cool seeing your best images on your blog or social media, but for a real rush, imagine seeing them in the glossy pages of a national travel publication. Even better, imagine getting paid to place them there.
I'll tell you how your can publish your travel photos in this episode.
Listen to the podcast
You ever wonder how publications get all those beautiful images for their pages? Or even how you might have your images featured in your favorite magazine? Well you can get that kind of coverage, too. Here are five steps and an outline to help you improve your chances.
- Research locations.
- Where are the best locations to photograph?
- What are the iconic shots you will want to capture?
- What interesting scenes local, non tourists photograph?
- What are some of the travel stories being written about these locations?
- Magazine rack
- Stop by the magazine rack in a bookstore and look for magazines that would be compatible with your photography style.
- Capture masthead and website information.
- Editorial calendars
- Make a list of the top 6-12 publications you’d like to be published in.
- Check websites or call the advertising department for the editorial calendars. Remember lead times.
- Check in with editors to see if all assigned stories have illustrations.
- Check the 2017 Photographer’s market for specific guidance on publications.
- Subscribe to HARO for current & timely reporter requests
- Story ideas - Any interesting and different ideas that an editor might be interested in?
- Pitch angles - How will you approach and pitch them?
- Create shot lists - Create shot lists to make sure you cover all your angles.
- Itineraries - Plan your itineraries so you ensure you get all your must-have shots.
- Shoot in a wide range of formats.
- Carry a notepad, so that you can keep caption information.
4. Evaluate & edit
- Daily review - Download and review images on a big screen to make sure all photos are publication worthy.
- Edit - Post processing to bring out the best in your one or two favorite shots.
- Export in low resolution for online and high resolution for print.
5. Publish & Pitch
- Publish the best on your blog. Use keywords to help search engines.
- Pitch photos to editors.
- Follow up is extremely important
- to get coverage
- after you get covered
Helpful and related links